flower-shilling

Where the Internet Has Been Restricted

ozcopper

Staff member
Silveroo
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
The arrest of former prime minister Imran Khan in Pakistan yesterday has led to nationwide uproar and protests. In the city of Peshawar, a local hospital has reported three people being shot dead and a further 27 suffering injuries. In the state of Punjab, where the army was deployed, officials said that 945 arrests had been made and 130 police officers injured.

In addition to the government's response on the ground, there have also been restrictions put in place on access to internet services such as mobile connections and social media sites. As this infographic shows, Pakistan is one of many countries around the world whose government has taken the step to disrupt internet services in response to some kind of civil unrest or political event.

Before the latest disruption, a database by Surfshark had recorded 12 cases in Pakistan - five due to protests, one an election and 6 connected to general political turmoil. India has the highest number of internet restrictions, with 108, the majority of which (83) were connected to protests.

Attachments

• 29962.jpeg
    29962.jpeg
    458.8 KB · Views: 0
ozcopper said:
The arrest of former prime minister Imran Khan in Pakistan yesterday has led to nationwide uproar and protests. In the city of Peshawar, a local hospital has reported three people being shot dead and a further 27 suffering injuries. In the state of Punjab, where the army was deployed, officials said that 945 arrests had been made and 130 police officers injured.

In addition to the government's response on the ground, there have also been restrictions put in place on access to internet services such as mobile connections and social media sites. As this infographic shows, Pakistan is one of many countries around the world whose government has taken the step to disrupt internet services in response to some kind of civil unrest or political event.

Before the latest disruption, a database by Surfshark had recorded 12 cases in Pakistan - five due to protests, one an election and 6 connected to general political turmoil. India has the highest number of internet restrictions, with 108, the majority of which (83) were connected to protests.

Australia restricts many sites too.

Australia should definitely be painted red too. I was trying to message supporters during the massive rally on parliament in February 2022 & could not send information from the parliamentary zone. Everybody I spoke with at the time had the same "problem".

Shlomo Goldberg said:
Australia should definitely be painted red too. I was trying to message supporters during the massive rally on parliament in February 2022 & could not send information from the parliamentary zone. Everybody I spoke with at the time had the same "problem".

I experienced the same thing. I could call people but I couldn't send MMS or SMS, nor could I connect to the internet, despite having full reception.

That was still one of the best experiences of my life. After everything we went through, we came together in unbelievable numbers to take a stand and defend our freedoms and liberties in the most beautiful and empowering way. Right in our backyard - The capital of vaccinations and indoctrination. My God did we send a message that day! We didn't need the internet for that one to get through!

I couldn?t agree more. Certainly one point is that l believe less than one percent of that crowd was from Canberra. Those freedom loving people invested a lot of time, money & passion. I?m certain it made a difference.

as a result of notices to Australian ISPs, over 90% of Australians using Internet Services were going to have a web filter. Australian Federal Police would then pursue smaller ISPs and work with them to meet their "obligation under Australian law".[8] iiNet and Internode quietly confirmed that the request to censor content from Australian Federal Police went from voluntary to mandatory under s313 in an existing law. iiNet had sought legal advice and accepted the s313 mandatory notice but would not reveal the legal advice publicly.[9]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_censorship_in_Australia

However, if the Government proceeds with its mandatory internet filtering scheme, sites on the blacklist will be blocked for all Australians. The Government has flagged plans to expand the blacklist to 10,000 sites or more.

In a special report, written in conjunction with the Internet Industry Association and presented to the Government over a year ago, Landfeldt warned that "list leakage" was one of the main issues associated with maintaining a secret blacklist of prohibited sites.

Julian Assange, founder of Wikileaks, dug up the blacklist after ACMA added several Wikileaks pages to the list following the site's publication of the Danish blacklist.

https://www.smh.com.au/technology/leaked-australian-blacklist-reveals-banned-sites-20090319-gdtfdx.html

Back