flower-shilling

What on earth are these?

ozcopper

Staff member
Silveroo
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
What on earth are these?
Any one got any ideas? They seem to be made of resin, they have tiny holes through them, they are nearly 1 foot long and weigh around 1.1Kg each!

I think they're original (or copies of the original) sculptings for these coins. They make them in extra large format before producing a die.

https://www.usmint.gov/learn/production-process/sculpting

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-09-25-17-44-55-90_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-09-25-17-44-55-90_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
    802.6 KB · Views: 0
They are really cool. It would be interesting to know the history of them. I'd imagine the original clay sculptings wouldn't be available for just anyone to make a resin copy from.

They likely came from the Royal Mint. Possibly as samples for their tours? They're a great conversation piece at the very least and could be worth some $$ if you could find out more about them.

sorry but no, besides the fact they dont look at all right, they would not have reeding on the edge if they were designer sculptures
i believe they are just someones personal art project

to me they look like a vaccuum form mold. the areas they have put the holes are in areas I would put holes if doing vacuum forming to make sure the material is sucked into the tight areas. I could say with a 100% certainty thats why the holes are there. Would a mint do that or not, I couldnt say

Serial said:
sorry but no, besides the fact they dont look at all right, they would not have reeding on the edge if they were designer sculptures
i believe they are just someones personal art project

That's a good point about the reeding. Whatever they are, they're pretty damn cool. So is the person who made them  8)

If they were the real deal and original designers sculptures I would put a $10k to $13k estimate on them in an auction. That's because the mint never let's them leave into private hands

Back