flower-shilling

NGC PCGS “style” coin slabs & Storage boxes

dollars

Silveroo
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Having a clean up and thinking (procrastinating) about “slabing” and storing solutions for some of the better coins I have lying around. ( ie Some of the better Crowns, hi grade Predecimal and rarer dates, a selection of error bits and pieces, GEM 1966 50’s …etc)

Have any members had any experience with or opinions regarding any of the PCGS or NGC “style” Chinese slabs and storage boxes? Or supply suggestions?

Both positive and “what not to get/do” views appreciated

TIA $

Last edited:
The only concern I see is the professIonal grading cost In relation to the realistic coin value! High grade valuable coins where the grading cost is negligible in the overall value it would make sense. @ SG if you are able / willing to disclose what was your cost for organising grading & slabbing and the value of the coins involved?

For example a friend recently had approximately 20 odd coins grades by PCGS that were returned two weeks ago. He said it was $37.50 per coin. Realistically what is PCGS graded MS 64 1966 50c (with a flea bite verdigris spot ) really worth? ( I just checked MS61-MS 67 $35-$117)

I was thinking of placing selected coins that are currently in cardboard flips, capsule’s, small pvc clip lock bags etc into something more professional looking but at the same time affordable slab Stored in boxes of twenty or more. One coin I noted this morning hidden away was a 1927 Sixpence, 8 pearls however has some very ugly toning around the kings head. Definitely worth more than $4 but is it worth spending $37.50 on professional grading? I’m not so sure! Again I just looked up values and Au 50 value about $50 higher grades even more.

Last edited:
2020 1/10 gold Libertads.
$40 each for grading & Eric sent them with his own shipment. I don’t exactly recall the insurance but it was low enough to proceed.
Eric is a good bloke to deal with.
As you stated, the value has to be well & truly worth it. Often dealers buy & sell graded coins at the same price as ungraded coins.
The private market, I think is generally more appreciative of graded coins.

Back